Our History

In the fall of 2001, we opened a new school building at 4220 Cantrell Road, about two miles from our previous location. Our former location, 4496 Dixie Avenue in the center of Acworth, is a historic site. A school has been located on that same site since 1868, according to L. M. Awtrey, Jr. in an address to the Acworth PTA in 1951.

During Civil War days, a hospital for wounded Union soldiers was established in the Methodist church building on the Dixie Avenue site during Sherman's occupation of Acworth. The church building was located where the lunchroom was later built for Acworth Elementary. While excavating for the Acworth School building in 1935, seven graves were uncovered. They were in the area where the principal's office was located after the building was finished. According to Mrs. Ida Tippin, a life-long resident of Acworth, federal soldiers were buried there in 1864-65. The bodies were removed and given proper burial in the Marietta National Cemetery.
(Source: History of Acworth, Georgia, 2004.)

Acworth Elementary has been a Cobb County Public School for over 72 years. Since the school once was K-12, some of our students' grandparents and great-grandparents graduated from our school. After our move to 4220 Cantrell Road, the old school building stood vacant for a couple of years until it was demolished in 2004 to make way for a new primary school, built for our kindergarten and first graders.

In the fall of 2005, McCall Primary opened on that same site at 4496 Dixie Avenue.