About The Cobb County School District
CCSD Home Page >
- Enrollment (3/2014): 109,760
- Second largest in Georgia
- 24th largest in United States
- Student Demographics (3/2014)
American Indian <1%
Pacific Islander <1%
- Graduation Rate: 76.5 % (2013)
- Percentage of Students Qualifying for Free/Reduced Lunch - 45.0%
Faculty & Staff
CCSD is the second largest employer in Cobb County with 13,526 employees:
- 5,538 Classroom Teachers
- 1,452 Special Education Teachers
- 263 School Counselors
- 35 School Social Workers
- 49 School Psychologists
- 127 Media Specialists
- 1,307 Paraprofessionals
- 126 School Nurses
- 330 School administrators
- 1,072 Bus Drivers, Transportation
- 717 Maintenance, Operations
- 1,059 Cafeteria, Food Service
- 41 Public Safety Staff
- 1,407 School Support, Other Staff
- 61 % of Cobb teachers have earned advanced degrees.
Academic Success and Progress
- More than 2/3 of Cobb County schools received scores of 80 or higher on the 2012 Georgia
College and Career Ready Performance Index, the new statewide accountability system that replaces the federal Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).
Scores for all Cobb schools at each academic level were higher than those of the state. 9 high schools, 10 middle schools and 28 elementary schools
received maximum points for closing the achievement gap for specific student groups.
- For the 2013 CRCT, the percentage of Cobb students meeting or exceeding standards was higher than the state in every content area and grade level.
- 17 elementary schools and 6 middle schools had 90 % or more of students meet or exceed standards in all CRCT content areas.
- Focus on writing across all subjects has yielded positive results on state writing assessments:
- 11th Grade - 97 % meet or exceed standards
- 8th Grade - 87 % meet or exceed standards
- 5th Grade - 82 % meet or exceed standards
- New Iowa Assessment scores surpass national averages;
- 3rd grade - 59th percentile
- 5th grade - 63rd percentile
- 7th grade - 61st percentile
- District SAT average score of 1515 is 63 points higher than the state average and 17 points
higher than the national average.
- With a composite ACT score of 22.1, 2013 marks the eighth consecutive year Cobb graduates exceeded national, state averages
on in all four subject areas (English, Math, Reading & Science).
- Participation in challenging Advanced Placement courses has grown 184% since 2004.
- 75.5 % of Cobb graduates were enrolled in post-secondary institutions during the first year after graduation.
- 10 Cobb high schools posted improved graduation rates in 2013 compared to the class of 2012.
Cobb County: A Thriving Metro Atlanta Community
- Located immediately northwest of Atlanta, Cobb County has a population of 697,553, the fourth largest in Georgia.
- 42.2% of residents 25 and older have earned bachelor’s degrees or higher.
- Cobb has a self-contained public transportation system and is trisected by three major interstates. The business and shopping districts
feature the Galleria Centre and Cumberland Mall in the south, and Town Center Mall to the north.
- Established in 1834, Marietta is the hub of Cobb County and is a vibrant city with a bustling downtown square, historic neighborhoods and an extensive parks and recreation system.
- Hundreds of businesses are based in Cobb County, including Fortune 500 companies Lockheed Martin, The Home Depot and IBM.
- Cobb is home to Kennesaw State University and Southern Polytechnic State University, two of the state’s fastest-growing public universities.
- With venues such as the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, two Six Flags theme parks, and Fifth Third Bank Stadium at KSU, a variety of cultural,
recreational and sporting events take place in Cobb year-round. The Atlanta Braves baseball club will join the community in 2017 when the team moves
into its new stadium in south Cobb County.
Music & Fine Arts
- NAMM Foundation & American Music Conference named Cobb among the Best Communities for Music Education 12 times.
- 40,000+ students enrolled in music elective programs: band, chorus, orchestra, general music, music appreciation,
piano keyboarding, AP music theory, and guitar
- 49,000+ elementary students receive music instruction
- More than 200 state and national Invitational Band, Chorus, and Orchestra Concert Performances
- Magnet program at Pebblebrook High School offers specialized instruction in voice, drama, dance
- Visual arts instruction offered at all grade levels, including advanced courses.
- Student artists consistently place in local, state and national art shows and competitions
- Collaboration with community artists, local museums and exhibits
Athletics & Activities
Cobb County Schools offer a variety of extracurricular activities at all grade levels and competitive interscholastic athletics programs
for high school students. Cobb prep sports teams and student groups have won these recent accolades at the state, regional, or national levels:
- Kell Girls’ Lacrosse – 2014 5A State Champions
- Harrison Girls’ Soccer – 2014 6A State Champions
- North Cobb NJROTC - 2014 Navy National Academic Brain Brawl National Champions
- Walton Girls’ Tennis –2014, 2013 6A State Champions, 2011 5A State Champions
- McEachern Girls' Basketball - 2014, 2012 5A State Champions
- Walton Girls’ Volleyball –2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 6A State Champions
- Pope Wrestling –2014, 2013, 2012 Team Dual State Champions; 2013, 2012, 2011 Traditional State Champions
- Pope Baseball – 2013 5A State Champions
- Kennesaw Mountain Literary Team – 2013, 2012, 2011 State Champions
- Osborne JROTC Raider Challenge – 2012 National Championship
- Allatoona Girls’ Soccer – 2012 3A State Champions
- Walton Girls’ Track & Field - 2012 5A State Champion
- Kell Boys’ Track & Field - 2012 4A State Champions
- Pope Girls’ Volleyball - 2011 4A State Champions
- Lassiter Girls’ Swimming - 2011 5A State Champions
- Walton Boys’ Lacrosse - 2011 5A State Champions
- Pope Wrestling - 2011 4A State Champions
- Walton Girls’ Cross Country - 2011 5A State Champions
- Kennesaw Mountain One-Act Play - 2011 5A State Champions
- Walton Boys’ Soccer - 2011 5A State Champions
- Harrison Girls’ Soccer - 2011 5A State Champions
- Pope Boys’ Tennis - 2011 4A State Champions
- Harrison Baseball - 2010 5A State Champions