The Attendance Office handles student requests for checking in and out of school, along with the attendance procedures as determined by Cobb County School System.
Returning to School after an Absence
A letter written by a parent/guardian or licensed physician must be presented to Attenance the day a student returns to school from an absence. The statement should indicate the reason for the absence, the number of days absent, work and/or home phone number where a parent can be reached and the parent’s signature.
The Georgia Board of Education states that students may be temporarily excused from school for the following reasons:
- When personally ill and when attendance in school would endanger their health or the health of others.
- When in their immediate family there is a serious illness or death, which would reasonably necessitate absences from school.
- On a special and recognized religious holidays observed by their faith.
- When mandated by order of governmental agencies (pre-induction physical examination of service in armed forces or court order).
- Due to conditions rendering school attendance impossible or hazardous to their health or safety.
- In order to register to vote (not to exceed one day).
Other reasons will be recorded as unexcused.
Refer to Cobb County School Board policy JE regarding student attendance policies.
Tardy to School
If a student arrives to school after 8:25 am, he/she must report to the Attendance to sign in.
Excessive tardies to school or failure to sign in properly will result in disciplinary referral.
Checking out of School
Early checkout from school is discouraged. Students and parents should try to arrange medical and other appointments after school hours. A student who must check out of school early is to bring a note to Attendance by 8:15a.m. The note should include:
- Student’s first and last name
- Student’s ID number
- Parent’s name and/or signature
- Reason for early dismissal request
- Telephone number where the parent can be reached during the school day to verify checkout request. In the event that a parent cannot be contacted for verification, the parent must come to Attendance and check student out in person, (please bring ID). If a student is driving or walking, a parent must be contacted before he/she is allowed to leave campus.
If an emergency medical appointment is scheduled on the same day, the parent must call Attendance at 770-975-6503 x701004 in advance to arrange for a student checkout. Any early dismissals that have not been pre-arranged (walk-ins) will not be accommodated after 3:10 p.m. without an Administrator’s approval.
Our student’s education and safety are our main concern; therefore we appreciate your cooperation in abiding by the guidelines indicated above.
Certificate of Attendance for Driver’s Licenses
The Certificate of Attendance is needed in order to receive a learner’s and driver’s license. These are handled in the Attendance office during the hours of 7:45 A.M. – 3:30 P.M. daily, before school, after school or during lunch.
Student may report to the Attendance office to request the form any day during the week.
- The student may pick up the certified and notarized form within 24 to 48hrs in the Attendance Office
- The $2.00 notary fee is payable to Allatoona High School at the time of request.
- Certificates of Attendance must be submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicle within 30 days.