Board Approves Plan To Rebuild Flooded Clarkdale Elementary School On New Site
Clarkdale Elementary School, destroyed by floodwaters last fall, is on its way to being rebuilt. The Board of Education has approved a plan to construct a new Clarkdale Elementary on a relocated site adjacent to Cooper Middle School, between Ewing Road and Flint Hill Road in Austell. The plan encompasses construction of a larger school with up to 53 classrooms and redistricting that will relieve overcrowding at Hollydale, Sanders and other nearby elementary schools. Before its vote, the Board included an amendment that will require Board approval of a site plan for the project before it is bid.
A massive flood destroyed the original school on Sept. 21, 2009, filling the building with water from floor to ceiling. Since that time students have been divided between two nearby schools (kindergarten through second grade at Compton Elementary and grades three through five at Austell Intermediate).
Approval of the plan follows several months of discussions and negotiations with insurance, the Federal and Georgia Emergency Management Agencies (FEMA/GEMA), as well as state and county planning authorities.
Construction of the new school is expected to take at least 18 months. Read more on the District Web site.
The good news story of SPLOST (Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax) continues for Cobb County taxpayers. The following agenda items approved by the Board of Education are SPLOST-related and/or involve the use of SPLOST funds. In February 2010, the School Board:
• Authorized extension of Bid 08-12, Fiber Components and Installation Services to NetPlanner Systems and Graybar Electric from March 1, 2010 through February 28, 2011. Approval of the bid will allow the District's network infrastructure to continue to be refreshed. The estimated annual expenditure is $225,000.
• Approved a one-time waiver of Board Policy FEB - Selection and Employment of Architectural and Engineering Services, to allow selection of an architect for the Smyrna replacement elementary school by issuance of a Request for Propsal. The waiver will allow the District to determine the market rate for architectural services.
• Approved appointment of Chapman, Griffin, Lanier & Sussenbach of Atlanta, GA as architect for Lassiter High School theater addition/modifications, at an estimated cost of $809,960.
• Approved appointment of Cunningham, Forehand, Matthews & Moore, Architects, Inc. of Atlanta, GA as architect for the Clarkdale Elementary replacement school.
• Approved contract for demolition of North Cobb Vocational Building, awarded to Nix Fowler at a cost of $235,510.
These projects were part of the SPLOST III program approved by Cobb County voters in 2008. To view the agenda items for the projects, please click here. To view the proposal for the SPLOST III referendum approved Sept. 16, 2008, please click here.