The first day of school is Monday, August 13!
School Bus Stop Arm Violators
Face Fines Under Board Deal
Offenders caught on video by bus
cameras will receive $300 citations
Drivers who fail to stop for Cobb County school buses picking up or dropping off students will now be subject to a $300 citation. The Board of Education approved an agreement with American Traffic Solutions (ATS) and the Cobb County Board of Commissioners to implement an automated enforcement program for school bus warning device violations.
"Our buses make more than 41,000 stops every school day. It is our duty to ensure that every student we transport arrives safely," said Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa. "We anticipate this new enforcement program will improve awareness for school bus safety among Cobb County drivers and serve as a strong deterrent for future violations."
ATS will install updated stop arm cameras in the DIstrict's bus fleet. The cameras will capture detailed images and video of stop arm infractions. Vehicle information and images will be processed by ATS, and prosecuted by the Cobb County Solicitor General.
Board Adopts New Mission, Vision, Goals For Strategic Plan
The Board approved the foundational elements of the District's new strategic plan during its July 19 meeting, including new mission and vision statements and for the Cobb County School District.
The vision statement that will guide the plan is 'Empowering Dreams for the Future,' with the mission defined as 'Creating and supporting pathways for success.'
The strategic plan will be fully developed based on the core values, beliefs, mission, vision and goals adopted by the Board. Read more on the District website.
The good news story of SPLOST (Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax) continues for Cobb County taxpayers. The following agenda items approved by the Board of Education are SPLOST-related and/or involve the use of SPLOST funds. In June and July 2012, the School Board:
- Approved contract for addition and building modifications at Campbell Middle School to Classic Plains Construction of Marietta in the amount of $4,252,900.
- Authorized increase of award amount for RFP 10-11, Electrical Time and Materials, to Majestic Contract Service and PCM Electrical Contractors to the amount of $425,000. See agenda item for details.
- Authorized increase of award amount for Bid 11-30, Construction Time and Materials, to SouthCore Construction, Inc. and Triad Construction Company to the amount of $425,000. See agenda item for details.
- Authorized increase of award amount for IFB 11-29, Moving Tehcnology Services Equipment, toProsys Information Systems and Virtucom, Inc. to the amount of $350,000. See agenda item for details.
- Approved contract for building modifications and renovations at Lost Mountain Middle School to Beatty Construction Inc. of Austell in the amount of $368,600.
- Authorized extension of award of RFP 22-09, Moving Services to the Beltmann Group in the amount of $350,000.