Compensation Office - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the difference between the Compensation Department and the Payroll Department?

The Compensation Department manages the District’s Compensation Program and is responsible for ensuring pay structures and incentives designed to compensate employees for their skills, abilities, performance, and years of experience. This includes evaluating experience for step placement; processing employee transfers, reassignments, and terminations; developing and rolling out incentive programs; updating employee work calendars; administering salary increases and revising salary schedules; conducting job evaluations and approving job descriptions; and managing salary surveys to ensure salary rates are leveraged competitively.

The Payroll Department uses the information provided by the Compensation Department to generate the monthly and bi-weekly paychecks. In addition to processing paychecks, the Payroll Department also handles the following: travel reimbursements, tax shelter contributions, deductions, accrual of leave (short-term, personal, and vacation), QBE processing, tax withholdings, address changes, W-2 printing, supplemental pay, direct deposits, TRS8 forms, garnishments, professional dues and credit union deductions.

2. How do you decide my step placement if I am a certified employee?

If you are a teacher new to Cobb County, you are required to have all previous teaching experience verified. Individuals employed by the Cobb County Board of Education will be assigned a salary step based on qualifications and appropriate experience. Certified employees will receive a salary based on receipt of the highest valid in-field certificate issued and appropriately verified teaching experience. Verified teaching experience gained outside the Cobb County School District in an accredited, Georgia-recognized program will be credited year for year. In addition, you must have worked 120 days and have been employed full-time for each year to count. If you were employed part-time (50% or more), you must have worked two consecutive years to earn one step. If you taught in an accredited college, you must have been a full-time employee, held academic rank, and been on a tenured path.

3. How do you decide my step placement if I am a classified employee?

Classified employees must have prior similar experience verified by submitting a CCSD Experience Verification Form to previous employers. Clerical positions may be granted a maximum of 8 salary steps (equals 25 years or more of similar experience). School Bus Drivers are given year for year experience for passenger driving experience and may also receive half experience credit for other types of driving. Hourly employees (food service assistant, food service manager, custodian, maintenance, etc.), must have the experience verification forms reviewed and may be given credit for like experience. Paraprofessionals may be placed on a maximum salary step 6 upon review of prior like experience.

If your previous employer is no longer in business/no longer has records or you were self-employed, you will need to do the following:

Step 1: The employee should submit a notarized letter to the Compensation Office stating the information regarding his/her prior employment. The letter should include the name of the Company, the dates of employment, full-time/part-time status, hours worked per day, and salary information.

Step 2: Along with the notarized letter, the employee should provide W-2 forms, tax returns, and/or check stubs that would assist in verifying the employment information.

Step 3: After receiving these documents, the Compensation Office will determine whether the information supports granting credit for this prior experience.

4. What step am I on?

Your current step is located on the paycheck stub, above the second perforation. Please see the below example:

Clerk/Rank 3/240 Day/Step 5/100% of Day/2012-2013 School Year

(Title)/(Salary Rank)/(Number of Scheduled Work Days)/(Salary Step)/(Percentage of Day Worked, Dependent on Position)/(School Year)

5. I began my employment with Cobb County on December 2nd. Why didn’t I advance a step for the next year?

You must work a required number of days in a school year to advance to the next step the following year. Please refer to the online work schedules to determine the number of days required for your position.

6. I received my Master degree on May 10. Why didn’t I receive the new, higher rate for the summer months?

We can only pay you on your new rate for the days you actually work with the Master degree in the contract year. If your contract year ended May 30, we will pay you from May 10 to May 30 on your new certificate. Nothing extra is paid in the summer months because you did not work with the Master’s degree for the entire year. You will begin the new contract year on your Master’s degree and you will be paid through the next summer based on that salary.

7. I am transferring to Cobb as a new teacher from another Georgia county. How do I get my sick leave transferred?

When you send the experience verification form to your previous county, leave to be transferred will be listed on that form when it is returned to us. State law only allows transferring up to 45 days leave from your previous county.

8. How are extended day supplements calculated and paid for teachers?

First semester extended day supplements are paid over an 11 month period (September through July) and second semester extended day supplements are paid over a six month time period (February through July). If a teacher works extended day for both semesters, they will receive both payments in their checks February through July.

Bottom Menu