Student Transfers

School attendance zones are established by the Cobb County Board of Education. Students are required to attend the school within the established attendance zone in which they reside, unless an exception is granted in compliance with federal and state law, State Board of Education rules and Cobb County School District rules. These exceptions include a student’s attendance at a magnet school, family moves that occur during the school year, assignment of children of employees, student legal issues, and extreme medical/emotional situations at a student’s home school, and school choice.

School Choice

Parents/guardians of a student enrolled in a District school may apply for a School Choice transfer in accordance with Georgia’s Quality Basic Education Act (also known as HB 251) in order to pursue a transfer to another District school. School Choice transfers are available each year during an announced two week application period. The application procedures, forms and dates will be posted on the District’s Website during the second semester each year. Available space at a school is based upon permanent classroom space which includes available seats in each classroom. In the event that the number of transfer requests exceeds the available capacity, the District will conduct a random lottery. Information regarding School Choice transfers may be found here.

Special Needs Scholarship

Special Needs Scholarships, which provide tuition to private school for students with disabilities, are available each year during a period established by the Georgia State Board of Education. A student with a disability may apply for a scholarship to an approved private school pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 20-2-2110, et. seq., (also known as SB 10) by applying directly to the State Department of Education. An application for such scholarships is available at

Magnet Programs

To be enrolled in a magnet program, a student must be eligible to attend a District school. Students submit applications online during their eighth grade year.  Information is made available through local middle schools each year.

Family Moves

Should the parent/guardian of a student enrolled in the Cobb County School District move after the beginning of the school year, the parent/guardian may apply for their student to remain enrolled in his/her current school for the remainder of the semester. Students who move within the district may be eligible to remain enrolled for the school year. Applications should be submitted to the local school principal for consideration.

In addition, a bona fide high school senior who moves after completion of his/her junior year may also be eligible to remain enrolled his/her senior year. Again, applications should be submitted to the local school principal for consideration.

Children of Employees

All employees of the Cobb County School District (District), except temporary and substitute employees, who are also a custodial parent/legal guardian/step-parent with whom the child is domiciled, may elect to have their child(ren) attend any District school according to the requirements of Administrative Rule JBCD-R.

Student Legal Issues

A student who is the victim of a violent crime (as defined in Administrative Rule JBCD-R) or who has a legal issue that prevents him/her from attending a particular school may be eligible for a transfer to another school in the District. Form JBCD-6 (Victim of Violent Crime Request) must be submitted to the Student Support Office (


Parents/guardians of students requesting a hardship transfer from the District school to which they are zoned must submit an Application for Student Transfer to the Student Support office. A decision regarding the transfer request will be made by the Administrative Transfer Committee and all decisions are final. Parents/guardians should receive a response to the transfer request within 30 days of receipt of the request.

Hardship Transfers may be considered for the following reasons:

Unique hardships depend on individual family situations. Issues such as grievances arising from parent-school conflicts, peer group associations, discipline, attendance problems, and a general dissatisfaction with a particular school are not considered hardships.

For more detailed information regarding student transfers, see Administrative Rule JBCD-R.

Bottom Menu