Lost Mountain History
The Cherokee Indians who lived in the Lost Mountain area are credited with naming the mountain. Chief Kennesaw and his
tribe lived on the sheltered sides of the Twin Mountains.
The chief’s sole affection was for his daughter who matured
into womanhood and pledged her love to a young brave – a
union to which the chief would not consent. Heart-broken by
the thought of separation, the two ran away to the little
mountain they loved. When the chief missed them, he called a
council and formed a party to search for the young lovers.
The first footprints clearly led the party to the distant
mountain, but as they followed the trail the encountered
difficulties. The pathway became half hidden with laurel and
fern and their progress slowed. Finally, the mountain
appeared just a little ahead of the search party. They
reached the mountain only to discover it was a mere hill,
flat and overgrown with a tangle of vines and sweet smelling
bays. They meticulously searched every piece of ground for
the brave and his love, but at dusk, acknowledged defeat and
turned homeward to the Kennesaw’s, the old chief lamenting –
lost – lost on the mountain.
The year following World War I, the Lost Mountain area was not
well known and was described in the newspaper as a “small
community on the west side of the county”. Old Landmarks of
our small community include a rural post office where the
brick store stands today at the corner of Mars Hill and
Dallas Highway, a Presbyterian Church which was established
in 1850 at Midway Road on Dallas Highway, and a Baptist
Church established in 1877 that was situated on the
southwest quarter of the mountain. Another interesting
landmark was the old Lost Mountain School.
Lost Mountain School was a two-story building with a one-room
school in the bottom story and a Masonic lodge in the top.
The building – eventually destroyed by fire – was located on
Dallas Highway just west of the big general store where land
office business was done after the Civil War. Citizens of
the surrounding community took a vested interest in always
having a good school master for their children.
At times they even
resorted to “passing the hat” to acquire adequate funds. The
one room school served the Lost Mountain community until
1940 when it was combined with seven other similar schools
to become the McEachern School.
The Lost Mountain Middle School, situated on 88.83 acres,
officially opened on Monday, January 6, 1992. The new
facility currently houses approximately 1050 students. The
school serves as a focal point for the future development
and expansion of Lost Mountain area.