2007 John McEachern Hall
The school experienced its
next expansion project in 1948 with the construction and opening
of the elementary school building now known as John McEachern
Hall. During this time, the old shop building was renovated into
a spacious home for the principal.
In 1957, a new
gymnasium was built. A new wood shop and band room opened in
1962; after an addition to this building in 1963, it became the
junior high school in what is presently Macland Hall.
dormitory from the A & M years was renovated in 1964 into a
classroom facility and renamed Russell Hall in honor of former
Governor of Georgia and United States Senator Richard B. Russell
(Class of 1914).
1968 - 1994
The students selected the Indians
for their school mascot under Principal Julian Garrison in the
McEachern fielded its first varsity football team with the first
football stadium being constructed in 1965. Two other
facilities, originally housing administrative offices, business
education, mathematics, school library, and a biology lab, were
built in 1967; these are presently known as Senior Hall and
Between 1970 and
1975, enrollment at all grade levels increased to the point that
a transfer of first through eighth grades to other schools in
the area was necessary.
The campus became
one school known as John McEachern High School in 1975. During
this time, the stadium was expanded, and a new field house was
department also moved into a new building that still houses band
classes, art classes, and a small theater.