H.A.V.E.N. Academy at Sky View
LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
May 25, 2016
Good afternoon parents, guardians, students, and community members.
As I reflect on the 2015-16 school year, I recall several conversations with H.A.V.E.N. parents, students, and staff on the need to incorporate a uniformed dress code. As we prepare for 2016-17, I have spoken with our administrative team and we have decided to elicit the votes of our Sky View stakeholders. Below you will see links for each stakeholder group to vote on whether or not we should consider school uniforms for 2016-17 and beyond. Please use the link to submit your vote soon. A few quick items regarding voting and school uniforms:
- Votes: Each person will receive one vote
- Voting Period: 3 weeks--Now (3:30pm on Monday April 11, 2016) through 11:59pm on Friday April 29, 2016
- Uniform: Monday – Thursday [Tan, blue, or black khaki or cargo pants (no jeans), a belt, and a solid-colored polo style or buttoned shirt (Sky View or home school colors)] and Friday [Spirit day- jeans, shorts, and Sky View or home school tees are acceptable]
- Uniform Advantages: A synthesis of the research conducted on school uniforms point to five primary benefits: 1) Increase in student attendance, 2) Increase in academic achievement, 3) Decrease in behavioral problems, 4) Decrease in “left out” perception of students who cannot afford costly items and 5) Decrease in student drug use.
- Uniform Disadvantages: Research also suggests a few negatives that are related to school uniforms: 1) Decrease in student creativity/expression as it related to school dress, 2) Uniform costs, and 3) Cultural intolerance.
To have uniforms for 2016-17 we are looking for a 50% or above vote from all three groups (parents, students, and staff) in favor of uniforms, or above 75% vote from at least two of the three groups in favor of uniforms by the time the voting period closes.
Students click here
Parents click here
Please take some time to review some literature on school uniforms and cast your vote before 11:59pm on Friday April 29, 2016.
Isaac Kelly, Ed.D.
Principal, H.A.V.E.N. Academy at Sky View
Desk: (770) 819-2584
Fax: (770) 819-2586
2015-16 School Choice
The Cobb County School District is again offering
School Choice (HB 251 and SB10) transfers for the 2016-2017
school year. Individual school capacity information and
applications will be available beginning February 1, 2016 on the
District website. For more information,
please see our 2016-17
School Choice webpage.
Click here for year round information regarding weather and school closings.
Calendar of Events
Add this calendar to your personal Google Calendar by clicking on the "+" button above.