September 8, 2019
Dear Walton Community,
The state released information about the 2020 Governor’s Honors Program, so we are promptly beginning the process of nominating students to attend next summer’s program. This is a four-week college-like program for the most talented students in our state, offered free of charge for students who earn one of the coveted positions!
There are several majors that students can apply for:
- Academic: Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Communicative Arts (English), French, Spanish, Latin, German, Mandarin Chinese
- Careers & Technology: Design, Mechanical & Electrical Engineering, and Software Engineering
- Fine Arts: Dance, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts
What IS GHP?
- State GHP Info Page: http://gosa.georgia.gov/governors-honors-program
- Review the GHP website to determine which area your student might be interested in studying.
Below you will find dates and links that will provide general information about the GHP program and the student application process. All questions regarding the GHP Nomination Process at Walton should be directed to Jasenda League (Jasenda.League@cobbk12.org).
Each department will conduct its own interviews and selection process.
Contact the department coordinator for your area of nomination for more information about deadlines.
|Maria Silva (Maria.Silva@cobbk12.org)||Foreign Language (Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Mandarin Chinese)|
|Tobie Hendricks (Tobie.Hendricks@cobbk12.org)||Science|
|Melissa Tatman (Melissa.Tatman@cobbk12.org)||English (Communicative Arts)|
|Erin Guthrie (Erin.Guthrie@cobbk12.org)||Social Studies|
|Joe League (Joseph.League@cobbk12.org)||Math|
|Lori Foltz (Lorene.Foltz@cobbk12.org)||Business (Architectural, Graphic, & Industrial Design; Technology; Agricultural Science)|
|John Palmer (John.Palmer@cobbk12.org)||Fine Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts)|
- School level GHP information meeting Thursday, September 12th, before and after school in room 322
- Email interest due to department coordinator by Tuesday, September 17th
- Fine Arts applications due Friday, September 20th
- Academic interviews Tuesday, October 15th
- Fine Arts interviews Wednesday, October 16th (WEB)
- Academic and CTAE county level interviews at Sprayberry High School on Thursday, November 7th
- Fine arts county level interviews at Pebblebrook High School on Monday, November 4th
- Students selected as state semi-finalists notified by January 24, 2020
- Mandatory interviews and auditions for state semi-finalists will be held on TWO weekends this year:
- State level music semifinalists will interview at Berry College on Saturday, February 22nd.
- State level non-music semifinalists will interview at Berry College on Saturday, February 29th.
- GHP will be held at Berry College next summer from June 14th – July 11th, 2020.
- You should fill out your part of the application completely! Do a very good job and give thoughtful, detailed answers. This part REALLY matters.
- The teacher recommendation should be sent to a teacher who knows you well as a student in your major content. You might need to help them with information about awards and leadership. Make sure you give them enough time to do a good job – interviewers will make decisions about you based on what your teachers write/don’t write about you.
- Do not ask for a copy of your PSAT scores or transcript from the records room. The school GHP coordinator will do this for you.
Please follow the directions carefully and take the time to polish it accordingly, including the directions to sign in blue ink and a consistency in fonts.