Attendance Office FAQ's:
School Hours 8:50 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
No student should be dropped off before 8:15 AM; there is no supervision available prior to this time and the front doors remain locked until 8:50 AM each morning. Students who arrive early will report to and sign in for silent study hall. Study hall is for students to work on schoolwork, homework and are to sit quietly until the morning bell rings at 8:50.
What should students do if they arrive after homeroom has begun?
Students arriving after 9:10 a.m., are tardy and should report to the attendance office to get a pass to class. If you are signing your student in tardy from a doctor's appointment, a parent must sign their child in electronically with a cell phone.
- When a student accumulates more than 7 unexcused tardy marks in a semester he/she will be assigned 1 day of ISS.
- When a student accumulates 10 unexcused tardy marks in a semester he/she will be assigned 2 days of ISS.
Absences will only be excused for the following reasons:
- A child is ill or attendance in school would endanger his/her health or the health of others.
- A serious illness or death occurs in the immediate family of the child, defined as mother, father, siblings, grandparents, step-parents, or legal guardians.
- A child is absent due to a medical appointment
- A child is observing a recognized religious holiday of his/her faith.
- A child is mandated by order of a governmental agency.
*excuse notes should be sent to the attendance clerk, Allison Miller, via email at Allison.firstname.lastname@example.org or CTLS Parent Message. In order to go fully paperless, this year we will not be accepting excuse notes in the front office.
A student must be present in school at least 50% of the instructional day for he/she to be counted present, per Cobb County policy. For our Lost Mountain students, an ALL-DAY absence is defined as missing four or more periods (not including homeroom).
In regard to excessive absences, refer to Cobb County Administrative Rule JE-5 Attendance Protocol. The primary goal of this attendance protocol is to address unexcused absences for students.
- At three unexcused absences, the homeroom teacher will contact the parent by email.
- At five unexcused absences, the principal will send a letter to the parent notifying them of the five unexcused absences.
- At seven unexcused absences, a referral is made to the School Social Worker.
What is the latest time a student can be checked out of school?
Last checkout is 30 minutes before afternoon dismissal time: 3:45 P.M. Please take into consideration traffic times. If arriving at 3:30 or after, we suggest entering the parking lot from the bus entrance.
Checking out students early:
Parent or guardian must report to the front office, electronically check out with cell phone and show a photo I.D.. The person picking up the child must have rights assigned on the ParentVue account. If someone is not listed on the ParentVue account, we will not release the student.
Adding an authorized person to your ParentVue account:
Sign in to ParentVue.
Go to "Change my Information."
Click on Student.
Click on the pencil icon.
Click on "add contact" and enter personal information.
Scroll down and hit "Save."
What if I need to change the mode of transportation for my student?
Please contact the front office prior to 12:30 for any daily transportation changes.
Parents who need to pick their child up from school via the car rider line have two options:
- Wait in the main line that advances to the front sidewalk.
- Park in the lot, get out of your car and walk up to greet your child just beyond the handicapped parking spaces.
To ensure the safety of our students:
- Please do NOT have your child wander through the parking lot to find your car from your call or text.
- Please do not idle in the aisle to wait for your child to walk to your car while you block other parents who need to back out of their space.
If you have friends, neighbors or a student’s older sibling pick up your child, please make them aware of our procedures.
All car-riders should be off campus by 4:30 PM each afternoon.