Smitha Middle is a School-Wide Title I school.
A School-Wide Title I program is a federally funded comprehensive reform strategy designed to upgrade the entire educational program in a Title I school. It provides financial assistance to local schools with a high percentage of low-income families to help ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards. Adopting this program results in an ongoing, comprehensive plan for school improvement that is tailored to Smitha Middle school’s student success.
This school-wide strategy requires that a school:
- Complete a comprehensive needs assessment (i.e. benchmark tests, parent surveys);
- Identify and commit to specific goals and strategies that address those needs (Family-School Compact);
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan (School Improvement Plan);
- Engage families in shared partnership with students to support academic progress (Family-School Engagement Policy);
- Facilitate an annual review of the effectiveness of the school-wide program. (Fall and Spring Improvement Meetings)