Sandra Colquett, Clinic Nurse - Sandra.Colquett@cobbk12.org

Medication at School

A. Any medication must be brought to school by the student's parent, legal guardian, or other designated adult and stored in a locked cabinet while at school. Some medication (e.g. asthma inhalers) can be self-transported and remain in the possession of the student if a written order from a licensed medical provider is obtained.

1.    Written parental consent is required for all medications administered during school.
2.    The parent/guardian is responsible for:

a. Completing and signing the parental consent, including the name of the pupil, the name and
strength of the medication, the dosage of medication to be given, and the time the medication
is to be given.
b. Keeping the medication in the original container.
c. Assuring that new prescribed medication is administered at home for a full day prior to a
child coming to school to have the medication administered by school personnel.
d. Personally collecting from the school any unused portion of the medication within one week
after expiration of the physician's order. Medication that is not personally collected by
the parent/guardian will be destroyed.
e. Coordinating doses administered at home with the school's medication dispensing schedule,
when possible.
f. Prohibiting any change in dosage or time of the administration of medication unless authorized in writing by the physician.

B. If a student may require emergency treatment involving hypodermic injections, prior approval must be obtained by using the appropriate form.

C. A licensed clinic assistant or school employee will administer prescribed medication during the school day, with written permission from the child's parent/guardian.

D. Over-the-counter medications (e.g. cough drops, Tylenol, Sudafed, etc.) must be maintained in the original container and kept in a locked cabinet and administered by a school employee.

1.    School employees and clinic workers are not authorized to administer over-the-counter diet pills or dietary supplements, including but not limited to vitamins, minerals, or herbs.

2. Written parental consent for the administration of medication is required for each over-the-counter medication (e.g. Tylenol, Sudafed, Cough drops, etc.).


Please complete the following forms and send to school for prescription and/or over the counter medication to be administered at school or in the classroom.

Medication Form (English)

Medication Form (Spanish)