Smyrna Elementary Carpool Etiquette
Please review the carpool process and etiquette. While the information may seem lengthy, everything listed is to facilitate the safe and efficient drop off and pick up of all Smyrna Elementary students.
The Smyrna Fire and Police Departments ask that we access the school as follows during mornings from 7:10 – 7:45 and afternoons from 1:45 – 2:30.
We ask that you please enter the car pool line from Windy Hill, turning left on Ward Street. Go to the round-a-bout near CHS and turn left on Belmont Blvd. Drive up the hill by our playfield, approaching the school from behind. This will keep one lane free of traffic at all times and ensure that safety vehicles can get through if needed. This will also prevent back up traffic in the round-a-bout near our school. This procedure applies to both AM and PM car pool.
Morning Arrival - 7:15am - 7:50am
- Please make the car pool line a “no cell phone” zone. This request is for the safety of everyone.
- Students may be dropped off between 7:10 AM and 7:50 AM.
- Students must be in their classrooms by 7:50 AM or they will be marked tardy.
- Carpool arrivals take place at the front of the building in the circle drive closest to the main entrance.
- Children may NOT be dropped off in the bus lanes, on the street, or at the entrance to the parking lot.
- When moving through the carpool lane, please pull forward as far as possible. If you are the first car in the line, pull forward to the farthest staff member or safety patrol member.
- Children may exit cars at any point in the circle drive once the car has pulled forward and come to a complete stop. Please adhere to this rule so the drop-off line is moving and efficient.
- Staff members and safety patrol will be present to assist.
- Instruct your children to always exit the car from the right hand side (passenger side) and to immediately go inside the building.
- Please drive in a single lane from the time you enter campus until you exit campus.
- Passing in the carpool line is prohibited as it could jeopardize the safety of our children. Even if your car is carrying no passengers, you must follow the Carpool Etiquette if you are on campus during the Carpool process.
- If your child is transporting a large project please park in a parking space and walk your child into the school office. Then return to your vehicle and follow the Carpool line until exiting the campus.
Afternoon Pickup - 2:10pm - 2:40pm
Additional guidelines are in place for the afternoon pick up.
- Please enter the main parking lot at the entrance closest to the school (not the entrance closest to Fleming Street), so that the carpool staff member can see your Carpool ID tag and text your child’s name to the staff in the cafeteria.
- Smyrna Elementary Carpool ID tags MUST be displayed in the windshield.
- Drivers who do NOT have a Smyrna Elementary carpool tag displayed MUST park and come into the main office to provide identification before a student will be allowed to enter the car. This practice is for the safety and protection of all students.
- Students who are not picked up by 2:40 will be placed in ASP. All ASP charges may apply.
Thank you for your strict adherence to our Carpool Process/ Etiquette. We take safety very seriously at Smyrna Elementary and we know that we can count on your cooperation!