All students of the Cobb County School District shall be required to maintain the level of personal hygiene necessary to ensure a healthful school environment and to refrain from any mode of dress that contributes to a disruption of school functions. Students are encouraged to observe a standard of grooming and dress consistent with the level of formality of the school situation. Administrators and teachers shall enforce the dress code policy, and the principal or her designee shall be the final judge as to the appropriateness, neatness and cleanliness of the apparel, or whether or not apparel is disruptive, distractive or in violation of the dress code. The minimum standard of dress for students shall be as follows:
• Shoes shall be worn.
• No thin or spaghetti straps on shirt. No bare midriffs.
• Caps or hats are not to be worn in the school buildings during the school day unless there is a special activity during which they are deemed appropriate by the administration.
• Clothing or ornamentation displaying or advertising substances illegal for minors is prohibited. Clothing or ornamentation advocating, promoting, or suggesting illegal activity is also prohibited.
• Suggestive phrases, designs, markings, or profanities are also prohibited.
• Elementary students may wear appropriate shorts. Minimum length is fingertip length when arms are positioned straight against legs.
• All students shall maintain an acceptable standard of dress.