Green Acres Elementary School Counseling Program
School Counseling Mission Statement:
The mission of the Green Acres Elementary School Counseling Program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental counseling program that will allow all students, regardless of individual differences, to acquire the attitudes, skills, and knowledge necessary for academic, career, and personal/social development. Professional School Counselors are professional advocates who provide support to maximize student potential and academic achievement. Working with the students, staff, parents and community members, the school counselor will facilitate a positive and supportive program that will ensure a school community that is a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment for all.
School Counseling Philosophy:
The counselors at Green Acres believe:
- All students can learn
- All students have a right to learn in a safe and nurturing environment
- All students’ dignity and culture is respected and valued
- All students have right to participate in the school counseling program
- Parents, teachers and the community must work together for the good of our students
- Green Acres Elementary staff members make a difference in the lives of our students
- The counseling program uses data to plan intentional guidance activities as well as to advocate for change in the system
- The counseling program seeks improvement each year based on results data
- The counseling program is managed by state-certified Professional School Counselors that collaborate and consult with other educators, parents and the community
- Counselors abide by the professional ethics of guidance and counseling by the American School Counselor Association
- Counselors design, implement and evaluate the school counseling program in conjunction with the site administrator as well as the district strategic plan
- Talk to students about their problems or concerns
- Consult with parents, administration, staff and the community
- Lead small groups
- Provide classroom guidance
- Coordinate Facilitate the RTI Tier 3 Process
The Counselors Help Students:
- Improve self-esteem
- Improve peer relationships
- Make good choices/decisions
- Achieve academically
- Resolve conflicts
- Express feelings and emotions
Counselors Work with Students in 3 Ways:
- Classroom Curriculum - the counselor goes into the classroom and teaches subjects, such as, social-emotional learning, growth mindset, bullying, career exploration, etc.
- Small Groups- students who share common concerns meet with the counselor on a weekly basis for 4-6 weeks.
- Individual Counseling- the counselor is available to talk with a student privately about specific concerns or problems.
What do students do in the Counselor’s office?
- TALK! About things important to them.
- SHARE! Good news and not-so-good news.
- LISTEN! To other students’ ideas and experiences.
- LEARN! About themselves, problem solving and getting along with others.
- THINK! About ways to make their school days or home life more enjoyable.
How can a student can talk to the Counselor:
- Student request
- Parent request
- Teacher or Principal request
- Counselor invitation