ATTENDANCE GUIDELINES FOR PARENTS
Mrs. Caroline Braun
(678) 594-8048 OFFICE (678) 594-8050 FAX
WHAT IF I AM ABSENT FROM SCHOOL?
Students who have been absent from school must submit an excuse note to the Attendance Office upon their return to school. Per Cobb County policy, notes must be turned in the first day that a student returns to school following an absence, but no later than three (3) days after the student’s return to school. Notes will NOT be accepted after the three (3) day limit.
The Georgia State Board of Education policy allows only the following circumstances to be EXCUSED:
- Personal illness
- Death or serious illness in the immediate family (parents, stepparents, legal guardians, grandparents, and siblings)
- Recognized religious holidays observed by the student's faith
- Absences mandated by governmental agencies (court orders, etc.)
- Conditions which render school attendance impossible or hazardous to the student's health and safety
- Service as a page in the Georgia General Assembly
All other reasons for absence are UNEXCUSED.
WHAT INFORMATION NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED IN AN EXCUSE NOTE?
All excuse notes must include the following information:
- Student name
- Student school ID number
- Date(s) of absence(s)
- Reason for absence
- Contact number where the parent can be reached
- Parent signature
Where possible, all excuse notes must be on official letterhead from a doctor, government agency, etc. If this is not possible, parents are permitted to write the excuse note. Please note that students are NOT permitted to write excuse notes, even if the parent signs it. Notes written by students will NOT be accepted.