Each spring the East Cobb County Council (ECCC) of PTAs awards one $1,000 scholarship to a graduating senior from each of the six ECCC high schools. The scholarship, known as the ECCC PTA Margie Hatfield Scholarship, honors the dedication and years of service given by Mrs. Hatfield to the youth of our council. In recognition of her volunteer involvement, the ECCC PTA Margie Hatfield Scholarship Fund awards deserving seniors who have made significant contributions to the community. This is NOT a grade based scholarship but a service oriented scholarship.
Any graduating senior enrolling in a full-time course of study at any institute of higher learning may apply. Students, however, must be a member of your school’s PTSA and if awarded a scholarship, must use the funds for continuing education at a trade school or tow or four university/college. View the criteria and timeline.
The following is a list of criteria used in screening applicants:
- Service-oriented projects, community involvement, and extra-curricular activities (30 points)
- Leadership, honors, and awards (20 points)
- Essay (25 points)
- References (10 points)
- Grade point average (10 points)
- Following instructions (5 points)
Important facts to know:
- Any graduating high school senior from the six ECCC PTA schools enrolling in a full-time course of study at any institute of higher learning may apply.
- The funds must be used for continuing education.
- The applicant must be a member of their school’s PTSA.
- Applications must be completely filled out and the guidelines followed exactly. Resumes should not be attached. Applicants who do not adhere to the outlined specifications will be disqualified.
- Include one personal reference (not related to you) and one reference from your school.
- Applications should be completed no later than March 10, 2023 at 11:59pm.
- Winners will be notified in April and honored at an event on April 27, 2023. Parents and other family members are invited to attend.
- There is no limit to the number of students from each school that may apply.