Campbell High School
Class of 2023
Commencement Information and Schedule of Activities
Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 3:30 p.m.
Kennesaw State University
LOCATION OF VENUE AND DIRECTIONS
The Convocation Center is located on Kennesaw campus of Kennesaw State University at the intersection of I-75 and Chastain Road. From I-75, exit at Chastain Road (Exit 271) and turn west. Go to the first traffic light past the I-75 ramps and turn right onto Frey Road for graduate or guest parking. For accessible and special assistance parking, continue to the second traffic light and turn right on Kennesaw State University Road. Additional approach information and alternate routes are available on the district website at www.cobbk12.org/graduation.
Each graduate must request tickets by March 24, 2023. Graduates will receive their allotted tickets at commencement practice. All guests attending commencement, including babies and small children who will be seated in the laps of adult family members, will require a ticket. NO tickets will be provided in advance and NO extra tickets are available. Lost or damaged tickets cannot be replaced.
- All students must be cleared of fines and fees prior to commencement practice. All fees (textbook, parking, media, uniforms, extracurricular, etc.) must be cleared by April 27. Fines must be paid in cash or by money order.
- All students are required to have on file a completed Clearance of Fines and Fees Form. Senior clearance will be conducted April 26 & April 27 during 3rd block in the CHS Cafeteria.
- Students with outstanding fees will be prohibited from participating in the ceremony.
SENIOR FINAL EXAMS
- Wednesday, May 10 – 1st and 2nd Block B Day Finals/Laptop Return
- Thursday, May 11 – 3rd and 4th Block A Day Finals/Laptop Return
- Friday, May 12 – 3rd and 4th Block B Day Finals/All Senior Finals/Laptop Return
- Monday, May 15 – 1st and 2nd Block A Day Finals/All Senior Finals/Laptop Return
- ALL PRACTICES ARE MANDATORY to participate in commencement.
- Friday, May 19 & Tuesday, May 23 (8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.)
- Practice will be held in the Gwyn-McClure Gym.
- Graduates are NOT PERMITTED to remain on campus following commencement practice.
- Students who are late for practice will not be permitted to attend the practice and must meet with Dr. Watkins.
- Seniors must be present and on time for all practices. Seniors who miss a practice may not be eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. Commencement practices are school activities; therefore, all school rules and regulations, including dress code policies, will be enforced.
- White dress shirt
- Black pants
- Black shoes
- Black socks
- Solid colored dark dresses (length no longer than the gown and collars should not show) or black dress slacks
- Simple small jewelry (no necklaces)
- Dark dress shoes (no white hosiery and no silver/gold on the shoes
- If you decide to wear high heeled shoes, please wear a comfortable pair for walking and standing for long periods of time.
- NO FLIP FLOPS, tennis shoes, house shoes, slippers or shoes with sparkles/bling are to be worn.
- Parents will not be permitted to interrupt the commencement ceremony to replace shoes that are uncomfortable.
- Mortarboards are to be placed on the top of the head so that the mortarboard is flat on the top. Bobby pins are suggested to hold the cap in place. Tassels are to be worn on the right side of the mortarboard during the ceremony.
- To ensure the decorum of the ceremony and to provide consistency among schools, alterations to the mortarboard and gown are NOT permitted. Graduates may only wear stoles, cords and other honor insignia authorized by the school.
- Graduates arrive at the Siegel Recreation Center by 1:30 p.m. with cap and gown for attendance verification and line-up for the processional.
- To participate in commencement ceremony each graduate must purchase the approved cap and gown through Herff Jones/ATL Grad (www.atlgrad.com).
- Throwing caps is inappropriate, dangerous, and will not be permitted. If a student tosses a cap during the ceremony or during the recessional, the student will pay restitution for any damages incurred. Please understand that disruption and misconduct in any form will not be tolerated.
- Any senior who causes a disturbance or in any way conducts himself or herself inappropriately during the ceremony will be removed.
- Graduates should not bring personal items to commencement such as cell phones, keys, purses or selfie-sticks. There is no place to secure these items while you are participating in the commencement ceremony.
- Parking will cost $10 for each car parked for commencement. This fee applies to graduates and to guests. Be prepared to pay with credit/debit cards ONLY.
- Graduates are to park in the Central Parking Deck.
- Guests are to park in the East Parking Deck and the East Economy Lot (across Frey Road from the East Parking Deck). Overflow parking will be available in the Central Parking Deck.
- Guests with disabilities and elderly guests who require individualized assistance should park in either Lot A or Lot B. Golf carts will run continuously to transport guests to and from the Convocation Center.
- Diplomas will not be distributed after the commencement ceremony at KSU. Students can pick-up their diplomas on Thursday, May 25, or Friday, May 26, from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in the CHS PAC.
- Cady Studios will take photos of each graduate prior to ascending to the stage and as they receive their diploma. These photos will be available for purchase. Parents and/or guests may not be in the aisles, along the stadium railings, or at the front of the stage to film or to take photographs. (www.cadystudios.com)
- DVD sales will be made available online on the district graduation page (www.cobbk12.org/graduation). The district will provide a link for the sales of DVDs on the district graduation page. Sales kiosks will be located in the pre-function areas and/or outside the venue for onsite sales.
CCSD will provide a live webcast of the commencement ceremony which will be publicly available via the school district website( www.cobbk12.org/graduation).
Flowers and graduation will be available for purchase in the Atrium (lobby) and outside the venue both before and after the ceremony.
REQUIRED BAG CHECK/CLEAR BAG POLICY
In accordance with KSU requirements, all persons entering the Convocation Center will pass through metal detection devices. Also guests entering the facility with a bag MUST use either a CLEAR TOTE or SMALL CLUTCH to be approved for entry into the venue. Please do not bring any packages that cannot be opened or inspected. Also, please allow extra time for entry as there may be delays. · Please see the description provided regarding clear totes and small clutches.
- Clear Totes Clutch Bag or Small Purse
- Size may not exceed 12”x 6”x 12”
- Logo may only be on one side of the bag
- Items in the tote must be loose
- All bags are subject to search · Size may not exceed 6.5”x 4.5” · May include a handle or strap · Does NOT need to be clear · All bags are subject to search
Any object which obscures the view or impacts the safety of others is not allowed in any district-manage venue. A complete list of prohibited items is available on the district graduation web page (www.cobbk12.org/graduation). Balloons and signs are prohibited.
- Participation in commencement is a privilege. Students must meet all expectations and requirements to participate in the commencement ceremony.
- Restitution for any damage to the venue, district property, or vendor property will be the responsibility of the graduate or guest who caused said damage.
- Honor Cords: Cords for honor graduates (students with a 3.5 or above GPA-not rounded) will receive their cords during commencement practice.
- Seniors will need to request a final transcript if they are planning to attend college. Final transcripts are not mailed automatically.
- If you have questions, please contact: Dr. Lisa Moore Sparks at Lisa.MooreSparks@cobbk12.org or Dr. Antwane Nelson at Antwane.Nelson@cobbk12.org (Graduation Administrators)
Class of 2023 Important Dates
- Tuesday, March 21 Commencement Parent Meeting at 6:00 p.m. in the PAC @ CHS
- Wednesday, April 26 Senior Clearance - 3rd Block
- Thursday, April 27 Senior Clearance - 3rd Block
- Friday, April 28 College Signing Day
- Wednesday, May 3 Senior Honors & Awards/Who’s Who
- Wednesday, May 10 Final Exams – 1st and 2nd Block B Day Finals/Laptop Return
- Thursday, May 11 Final Exams – 3rd and 4th Block A Day Finals/Laptop Return
- Friday, May 12 Final Exams – 3rd and 4th Block B Day/All Exams/Laptop Return
- Monday, May 15 Final Exams – 1st and 2nd Block A Day/All Exams/Laptop Return
- Monday, May 15 Seniors’ Last Day (Seniors dismissed after last exam)/Senior Final Grades Due Tues, Wed, and Thurs, (May 16-18) and Tues (May 22) Seniors DO NOT REPORT to school
- Friday, May 19 Mandatory Commencement Practice 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. – Gwyn-McClure Gym
- Tuesday, May 23 Mandatory Commencement Practice 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. – Gwyn-McClure Gym
- Tuesday, May 23 Baccalaureate 6:30 p.m. at Smyrna First United Methodist Church
- Wednesday, May 24 Commencement Ceremony at Kennesaw State University Convocation Center · Graduates must report to the Siegel Recreation Center by 1:30 p.m. to participate in the commencement ceremony (attendance verification)
- Thursday, May 25 & Friday, May 26 Diploma pick-up from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in the PAC @ CHS
For additional information and updates, please check the commencement page on the district web site: www.cobbk12.org/graduation.